It is March of 2021 and we are still going through the ups and downs of the Covid Pandemic. One thing I am starting to notice is many people seem to be taking a look at their lives, amongst this chaos, and realizing they want to start making better choices.
Maybe its due to the eye opening experience they had when there was shortages of supplies. Leading to the realization of how dependent we are on store bought goods and it’s kind of scary. Or maybe it’s the fact that they are home more and feel they would like to be more sustainable and NOT have to run to the store every other day or have a stranger deliver their items to them.
For me, I don’t want to have to run to the store ever! But that is a post for a different day.
Today we are going to discover that you, yes you, can formulate your very own miracle body butter. Not only has this butter proven to heal eczema, psoriasis and other dry skin ailments but it also diminishes scars and stretchmarks. Can I get an AMEN?
I wont lie to you, I am currently going to school for certifications in all natural skin and haircare formulating and I was really on the fence about sharing this recipe. It is that good! But I may be years away from formulating my own skincare line. So, in the meantime I want you and your skin to thrive so enjoy! Please share with your friends and family to show support towards sustainable and eco friendly lifestyle choices that can benefit all.
This recipe yields quite a bit of butter! You can package and store it away in a cool dark place up to 2 years. You could also gift it to others (and they will love you even more) or you can cut the recipe in half! Totally up to you my friend.Print
DIY Therapeutic body butter
Give your dry, tired skin some deep therapy with this moisturizing and relieving body butter that you can make and master yourself!! Whether you have weathered skin, eczema, stretch marks or just need to give your body a pick me up. This go to butter is a must have year round.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Total Time: 2-3 hours
- Yield: 1 pound (16 ounces) 1x
- Category: Skincare
- Method: DIY
- Cuisine: Vegan
You will need either a double boiler or a medium sized pan filled 1/3 with water and a heat resistant bowl that will fit into the pan. Your ingredients will go into the top bowl/pan and be melted slowly. Click here for video visual if needed. This is video from different recipe but same method is used at the 2 minute mark.
- Measure out coconut oil, shea butter and mango butter and add it to your bowl which will be placed over a pot of water on the stove or double boiler. Bottom pot should be filled 1/3 with water. Water should not touch the bottom of the bowl in which the oil will be heated.
- Measure out cocoa butter and dice it up into small pieces so it will melt quicker. Then add it to the pot with your coconut oil, shea butter and mango butter.
- Melt these 4 ingredients over medium low heat until everything is 100% liquified.
- Once 100% melted remove from heat and add jojoba oil and essential oils. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer mixture to your final mixing bowl which should be stainless steel or glass. Generally, you would transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer. However, if you don’t have a stand mixer any large stainless steel or glass bowl will do. If you do not have a stand mixer you will need a hand mixer. Recommendations listed below instructions.
- Once bowl is no longer hot to the touch transfer it to the refrigerator for 1-2 hours (yes time varies).
- You will have to keep an eye on your mixture. Once the mix is completely cooled but still soft enough to easily press a spatula through it, take it out of the fridge and get ready to mix.
- Whisk on high for 4-5 minutes.
- Stop mixing and scrape down the bowl ensuring to scrape anything off the bottom of the bowl as well.
- Whisk on high for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- You should now have a bowl full of perfectly whipped body butter. Take a moment to look at what you have created and breathe in the aromatic scent. Isn’t it incredibly calming? How amazing are you!
- Transfer butter into reusable containers of choice. Recommendations below or visit my product links library for more inspirations and suggestions.
NOTE: If your mix is not whipping enough it could be because it is to warm. Place it back in the fridge until it has cooled all the way through and try whipping again for another 3-4 minutes. If the mixture cooled and stuck to the sides of the bowl, simply take a hard spatula and scrape it off into the center of the bowl before mixing.
PURCHASE LINKS BELOW
These are the exact ingredients I have used in this recipe for the past year. I would not recommend different brands only because I know for a fact these products yield an incredible result. However, should I discover in years to come that there are better brands, I will be sure to update the links below!
- Coconut oil
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Butter
- Mango Butter
- Jojoba Oil
- Cinnamon leaf essential oil
- Peppermint oil (not organic)
- Peppermint oil (organic)
- Stand mixer
- Hand mixer instead of stand mixer
- Mixing bowl if not using stand mixer
- Double boiler
- Reusable containers matte black with tin lids
- Reusable containers Amber brown with keep fresh lid.
SheLivesNaturally is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Shelf life 1 year- once being used with no water introduction
Shelf life 2 years- if packaged and stored away in cool dark place unopened.
Remember, water leads to spoilage. So, anytime you introduce water into an anhydrous(water free) product, you are opening it up to bacterial growth and spoilage. Keep it dry people!!! (Ace Ventura voice)
Keywords: Skincare, dry skin, natural skincare, diy skincare, natural remedies for dry skin, natural living, eczema, psoriasis, dry skin relief, natural healing, eco friendly, go green, sustainable living, sustainable lifestyle, sustainable blogger, lifestyle blogger, eco conscious, healthy lifestyle choices, moisturizing body butter, natural body butter for eczema, how to get rid of stretchmarks naturally
Until next time!