My family LOVES dessert. I love baking all types of amazing sweets but I honestly don’t eat a ton of them. I am a grazer and I will nibble at most things especially desserts over a period of time. However, with this cheesecake I had to actually say out loud “Chelsea, you need to stop!” 😂
This recipe is broken down into sections and within those sections it simply details everything you need to do!
⭐️Make sure you have a springform pan –Click here for recommendationPrint
Knock you off your feet – New York cheesecake recipe
This cheesecake is a showstopper. My family literally fights over the last piece. It is thick, dense, creamy and just 100% satisfying to the palette.
- Prep Time: Roughly 1 hour
- Cook Time: Time will vary. Average is 2 hours
- Total Time: Roughly 3 hours
- Yield: 10–20 depending on size of slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: N/a
- 2 1/2 packages of Graham crackers
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
-Cheesecake Filling Ingredients-
- 5 ( 8 ounce) packages Philadelphia cream cheese
- 6–7 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 large eggs plus 2 additional egg yolks
-Strawberry Topping ingredients-
- 1 regular size container strawberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch poured into 1/4 cup and mixed with a little warm water to dilute it.
- If you need to thicken the mix add an additional tablespoon diluted cornstarch
- If you think this topping is too sweet feel free to add one tablespoon lemon juice until you reach desired taste.
Do you have all of your ingredients? Let’s bake!!!!
- Set aside your 9 inch spring form pan (use Crisco or Pam baking spray to coat the pan so your crust does not stick).
- Put your graham crackers into a large Ziplock bag (I save and reuse the Ziplock so I can cut down on my plastic use).
- Use a rolling pin to crush the crackers and then roll them out in the bag until you have nothing but a fine crumb in the bag. Empty graham crackers crumb into medium sized bowl.
- Heat your butter or oil in the microwave in a microwave safe dish using 30 second increments. *Once your butter/oil is completely melted add it to your graham crackers.
- Stir together crust ingredients until graham crackers are completely coated with butter or oil.
- Pour your mix into the spring form pan and press your crust mix so it covers the bottom and up the sides of the pan, stopping one inch shy of the top rim if possible. Otherwise just try to work the crust as far up the sides as possible making sure the bottom and sides are completely covered. Be mindful the cheesecake filling will pretty much fill the pan so we want as much crust up the sides as possible. See note below
- Set aside.
Note- this is not as easy as it sounds. You will probably be thinking “Am I doing something wrong? Why does the crust keep pulling apart and leaving spaces where I can see the pan?” Don’t worry! It’s normal, just take your time and keep pressing around the pan making sure that how far up the sides you go is even all the way around, we want this to look as beautiful as possible 😉
-CHEESECAKE FILLING DIRECTIONS-
- Get your stand mixer ready and preheat the oven to 460ºF.
- Beat together cream cheese until it is soft in your stand mixer.
- Add 1 ¾ cup sugar, 6-7 tablespoons flour and 1 tsp lemon zest to the cream cheese and beat on medium with an electric mixer or a stand mixer until smooth.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 5 whole eggs and 2 additional yolks.
- Add one egg at a time and mix on medium to incorporate each egg at a time. Then mix in additional yolks. Make sure to scrape down pan between mixing and scrape up any cream cheese on bottom of pan, VERY IMPORTANT.
- Put spring form pan with crust on a cookie sheet. You will see some butter leak when baking don’t worry it’s okay! You can always line the pan if you want zero leakage or wrap the pan in tin foil so the leaking butter/oil is contained as much as possible and doesn’t burn off as much. However, I don’t bother. ***Added tip- I also fill a loaf pan half full of water and place it on the bottom rack to ensure the cheesecake is moist and perfect. Every time I have done this the cheesecake comes out perfect.
- Pour filling into crust being careful not to spill. If you are clumsy maybe consider filling the pan when it is already on the oven rack. Spring form pan will be completely full.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes at 460º F or until puffed.
- Once the cheesecake puffs up (takes between 10-20 minutes average) reduce the heat to 200º F.
- Now, you need to watch your cake and as soon as the top starts to turn golden brown lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top. The foil NEEDS TO BE SPRAYED WITH NON STICK SPRAY otherwise, when you remove it you will also remove the top of your beautiful cake. You don’t have to sit in front of your oven staring at your cake but just check it every 10 minutes or so for the browning.
- The only way to truly tell if your cake is done is by eye in my opinion. Once the outer portion of your cake is firm and ONLY the very middle has a little wobble, is it done.
- Immediately remove the cake and let it cool completely before serving. Chill it in the fridge or let it cool naturally (I like to do this) and then move to the fridge once it is no longer hot to the touch. Read below for the best way to top this baby!
-STRAWBERRY TOPPING DIRECTIONS-
- Add the strawberries, sugars and diluted cornstarch to a stove top pan and heat over medium heat stirring constantly until the sugar has melted.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer mixture until the fruit has broken down and the mixture becomes thick and jam like (see video for visual).
- You can either add topping to cheesecake right out of the oven so some of the juice soaks into the top layer of cheesecake. Or you can wait until both topping and cake are cooled and then top your beautiful dessert.
Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to this cheesecake. Mine took over 2 hours to bake but it can take shorter or longer depending on your oven so you MUST KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR CAKE! No getting sucked into Netflix and only snapping out of it when you smell something burning!
- Serving Size: 16
- Calories: 350 per slice
Keywords: Cheesecake from scratch, Cheesecake recipe, DIY Cheesecake, Best cheesecake recipe, Dense cheesecake, Strawberry chessecake,
SheLivesNaturally is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com