Fall recipes are here!
The time has come for wholesome, hearty foods that leave us satisfied on cool fall days and cold winter nights. With pumpkins and butternut squash galore this time of year in New England, I like to have some simple recipes on hand to put these amazing vegetables to use!
If you have tried my recipes before then welcome back! If you are new here, then let me give you a quick run down before we get to cooking.
I am the only Vegan in my family. I am also the main cook and baker in my household. To say it’s difficult to meet everyone’s dietary wants and needs would be an understatement.
Many times I land on the idea that all I can do is create a Vegan dish that is as flavorful as possible and if people don’t like it then, OH WELL! They can find something else to eat! But it never comes to that. The entire family always digs into these courses with joy, excitement and satisfaction.
My point is, don’t be deterred by the fact that a dish is 100% plant based. As many times you will find those are the dishes that leave you coming back for more!Print
Simple Vegan Pumpkin & Butternut Squash Chili
Wholesome, hearty , meatless chili. This super nutrient packed Vegan chili sits at the top of my list for fall family gatherings and weekly meal prep. High in potassium and iron; this may be just the pick-me-up dish your body needs.
Inspired by the fall season, pumpkin and butternut squash give this chili a rich, thick texture that you can’t help but love.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: About 30 cups
- Category: Vegan Chili
- Method: Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut your butternut squash in half and remove the seeds and ends. Then, cut the remaining halves in half again so you are left with 4 quarters.
- Place the butternut squash cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 1-2 hours until tender
- Once the squash is tender and you can easily press a fork through it, turn the oven off and remove the squash to cool
- While the squash is cooling, peel and dice both white onions and green onion and add to the Instant Pot. If you opted to use baby potatoes, add them to the instant pot as well.
- Pour your olive oil into the Instant pot covering the veggies and hit “Sauté” Mode
- Sauté the onion, potato and olive oil until the onion begins to tenderize, then add diced pepper to the Instant Pot as well as turmeric.
- Open all of the canned vegetables EXCEPT for the canned pumpkin and pour into your strainer. Allow the liquid to drain out while you make your vegetable base.
- Boil 32 ounces of water and add 4 teaspoons of Better than Bouillon vegetable base.
- Once your vegetable base is completely mixed set aside.
- Add your strained canned vegetables to the Instant Pot stirring and combining with the onion and pepper..
- Pour your vegetable base into the Instant Pot stirring and combining. At this point your recipe will resemble a jam packed soup.
- Allow to heat and cook for 20 minutes on the sauté function
- After 20 minutes add the canned pumpkin and stir and combine to thicken the chili.
- Remove and set aside the skin from your oven roasted butternut squash. You can compost the squash skins!
- Cut the remaining squash meat into cubes and add to the chili. Stir and combine.
- Add additional seasoning and salt until you reach desired flavor.
- Allow to cook on sauté function for an additional 40 minutes to combine all of the wonderful flavors and aromas.
- Serve and enjoy!
✬ This chili goes great with a nice hearty artisan bread!
✬ If you want less sodium use less Better than Bouillon and less salt.
✬ Use organic ingredients wherever you can. This includes your canned vegetable options.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 11.6 g
- Sodium: 144 mg
- Fat: 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 13.7 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan chili, vegan pumpkin chili, vegan butternut squash chili, vegan butternut squash and pumpkin chili, vegan pumpkin and butternut squash chili, easy fall recipes, hearty fall recipes, easy chili recipe, healthy vegan chili recipe with pumpkin and butternut squash
I have linked the products I use in many of my creations and DIYs! Always buy local first! But if you don’t have a local supplier, you can use this as a resource for products I have purchased and trust.
Until next time,